HUNDREDFOLD FARM is a creation by several families of a 14-household rural cohousing community in the Gettysburg, Pennsylvania area . The members of this multi-generational community are learning together as they explore the art of living in a sustainable way. We are a collaborative housing project that offers an alternative to alienation and isolation exacerbated by most other housing alternatives. The cohousing model is characterized by private dwellings, clustered housing, pedestrian friendly design, and extensive common facilities.
SOME GOALS of Hundredfold Farm:
* To function together in a rich, supportive manner so that everyone will flourish.
* To provide an alternative to the loneliness which pervades our individualistic society.
* To own and manage the common land jointly, while owning our own private homes.
* To cluster the homes in order to reduce the impact on open space and agricultural land.
* To produce a significant amount of our own wholesome and healthy food using sustainable practices.
* To be a community of tolerance, open to everyone regardless of age, income, ethnicity, sexuality or family situation.
* An interlacing of native woodland, fields, pond, walking paths and hills
* The upper plateau of our 80 acre property offers a 180 degree view of surrounding area
* Member-owned working Christmas tree farm onsite
* Organic garden plot onsite since 2001 and continually expanding
* Existing 8-room, 2-bath historic house with a second story wrap-around veranda overlooking the pond
* Vision for site includes gazebo, sauna, meditation spots, tree house, and other communal gathering spaces
* One hour from Harrisburg, PA
* 1-1/2 hours from Baltimore and Washington DC metro areas
* Within a one hour drive of 10 college and university campuses
SINGLE FAMILY HOMES & ECO-SITE PLAN
* High quality, energy-efficient single family detached modular homes
* A village concept of the 14 homes balancing need for privacy with opportunity for spontaneous social interaction
* Pedestrian greenway between the homes that can be used by emergency vehicles if need be
* Two convenient parking areas located at the perimeter of the housing cluster
* All homes will be of passive solar design
* Grant funding available for photo-voltaic solar panels
* You have the option of designing a floor plan that meets your unique needs
* Innovative community waste water treatment and recycling system
* Built-in water collection and conservation systems
An important ethic of Hundredfold Farm may be described as Caring, Paring & Sharing.
CARING: Working in partnership with the 80 acre piece of land that is Hundredfold Farm – after preserving this Christmas tree farm from subdivision and shifting it to organic farming methods – we are committed to keeping the interests of the land foremost in all our decisions. This is why we are clustering the homes on six acres, siting the community on the steeper portions of the property that is less suitable for gardening, are working with the natural contours of the land in laying out the community, and giving much thought to where to site gardens and activities.
PARING: Reducing our ecological footprint – this value underlies decisions about incorporating active and passive solar power into the homes, a system which recycles our waste water for reuse as flush, laundry and irrigation water, growing our own food, vigorous recycling of everything from banana peels to beer bottles to batteries. We are continually seeking ways to reduce our consumption of non-renewables and live more lightly on the land.
SHARING: An ethic of finding ways to be in community as it naturally arises from living lives that consciously intersect with the lives of others. We are building detached, single-family homes - consistent with the zoning in our township – but our group is equally excited about creating those spaces that we will use together – the modifications of the existing farmhouse that will be our common house, community buildings like sauna, gazebo, sitting garden or woodworking space.
We began building in 2006 and most current members are living onsite. We anticipate filling our remaining vacancies over the next several months.
Status: Seeking Members - 1 home for sale, 5 building lots available