Forming Formed: 2012
This page last updated:8/10/2012
Victoria (within 45 minutes of), British Columbia,
There are no Reader Comments on this community. Add Your Comment on Earth EcoVillage
To create a self-sufficient, environmental, social and financially responsible eco-village that provides numerous personal, social and financial benefits for its residents, the surrounding community and preserves the villagesí land for all time.
Create structures and systems that are life supportive and that are able to integrate with the existing global economic model; reduce the dependence on and support of the unsustainable consumer-oriented system; contribute a new lifestyle and business practices that set a higher standard.
This multi-faceted project will serve the immediate community, the surrounding community, and visitors through education, sustainable business practices, eco-tourism, organic food production, health services, manufacturing and non-profit initiatives, firmly rooted in the care and protection for the environment focused on long term conservation.
We are looking for:
1. A location on south Vancouver island with a minimum of 200 acres. Eighty acres will remain protected wilderness, A portion will be developed as a common commercial /recreational area and farm using sustainable development and permaculture principles and organic farming. A minimum of 100 acres will be structured as 50 x 2 acre residential plots. Residents are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the land in the form of a stewardship. Subdivision will not be required as residents will not own the land or portions of. A newly formed land trust will be formed to protect the best interests of the project, thereby providing a greater degree of protection, the ability to tailor regulations specific to the goals of the project and to mitigate possible future legalities that could prove detrimental.
2. Form a core group of board members experienced in one or more of the following areas: finance, construction, energy, education, alternative/integrative health care, public relations, eco-tourism, food systems, event planning services, marketing, fundraising and information technology, who are able to contribute a minimum of 65k - and maximum of 85k to the initial land purchase; will be in a position in the first year following the land purchase to build a mortgage free basic residential structure (cabin, yurt, natural building) and who are able to live full time and work at the village. Must be Canadian citizens/residents.
Core group board members, please email a brief personal/professional overview to
Community location is placed at the center of the zip/postal code, city/state, or city/country (not based on street addresses)
This page last updated:8/10/2012
Statement of Housing Non-discrimination:
Our community does not discriminate in regards to housing based on race/color, national origin, religion, sex/gender, family status (i.e. having children, not having children, or being pregnant), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, source of income, age, creed, personal appearance, political affiliation, HIV infection, military/veteran status, unfavorable military discharge, gender identity or expression, receiving public assistance, or being the victim of domestic abuse.
| || |
Leadership Core Group:
Labor and Money
Members have independent finances
Open to Members with Pre-existing Debt:
(20 hours per week)
(Core group contribution, additional resident contribution)
Land and Buildings
200 acres (80.9 hectares)
(Is the minimum desired land size)
Land Owned By:
Community-controlled land trust
Number of Residences:
(12 initially, up to 50 total)
Percentage of Food Grown:
(The goal is to grow more than 80%)
Share Community Meals:
(Could be more depending on preference)
Dietary Choice or Restrictions:
Diet is up to each individual
Common Spiritual Practices:
(Choices include all - Private, public or home schooling)
Become an Editor
Current editor(s): earthecovillage
We encourage comments from those who have first hand experience with a community so that others may benefit from your experience. Please share information you think will be useful to other users of this site, in a clear, concise, and polite manner. Each community can choose to display all comments, display selected comments, or not to display comments (more info). Communities will be shown email addresses of those who comment so that they might communicate with you if they choose.
We reserve the right to edit or delete any comment.
You must be logged in to add a comment. Login here or if you have not yet registered on our site Register here.
More Info on Display Options
Communities can choose one of three options for how reader comments are displayed.
- Display all reader comments.
- Do not display any reader comments.
- Display only comments selected by the community (this is the default value).
Communities may have a variety of reasons for choosing these options so we encourage you to not be quick to judge.