Gabriel’s Garden is a great place to try living in the warmer months. We have only one extra room available; the least amount of time for which we will offer it is a two-week vacation.
Who We Are:
Gabriel's Garden operates out of a circa-1868 farmhouse called the Forest House, on four acres very close to EMU and Depot Town, surrounded by a Lutheran church on 10 acres, a 200-unit apartment building, and 10 houses, most for sale. Gabriel’s Garden follows a self-sustainable model for living; it has a barn/workshop and is involved in a variety of free community projects: gardens, tool-lending library, DYI co-op, and kids’ playground. We also have daily organic potlucks. This is really, really free-market. The Forest House opens its doors to EVERYONE to meet and organize. We welcome all ages, food preferences, ethnic and socioeconomic groups, and diverse political, social, and religious beliefs—in other words, ANYONE with an open mind, an open heart, and a hunger for good healthy food, learning, and community.
What do you give? Your talents. What do you receive?
1. Establish and develop healthy environments for communities.
2. Grow communities that are conducive to reverence for living systems.
3. Empower people to manifest their physical, mental, and economic health.
4. Cultivate neglected and damaged lands into biodiverse food- and medicine-producing gardens.
5. Transform cultures and institutions of racism, sexism, and classism into ones that embrace social and environmental justice.
6. Eliminate reliance on the destruction of faraway lands to meet our material and energy needs.
7. Sustain a spirit of vitality.
8. Make art in the service of life.
9. Foster a cooperative network of groups and individuals working to realize just, sustainable, and abundance-creating communities.
10. Facilitate the creation of deployable standing and reserve forces capable of implementing these goals.
We are a nonviolent community of volunteers made of progressive, enthusiastic, motivated, and committed individuals, striving to make this world a greener and more sustainable place. We combine principles such as discipline, commitment, and motivation with study and work in the field of permaculture. We are on the deck at 7:00 a.m. Monday through Friday to do our regular drills. We emphasize leadership, teamwork in doing chores, cottage-industry development, and volunteering in existing community gardens and community projects. We would also like to offer a diverse community housed in a green barracks, with a full organic refrigerator, clean sinks, spotless bathroom, and quiet nights. We combine military efficiency with a good cause, so that peace, love, and social cohesion can thrive and prosper.
Status: eco friendly neighbor
| | Contact:
1343 E Forrest
Ypsilanti, Michigan 48198 United States
Phone: 419 343 9096
Community location is placed at the center of the zip/postal code, city/state, or city/country (not based on street addresses)