The idea for The Vale began in 1946 when Jane and Griscom Morgan invited a family to share their home on 40 acres of land two miles south of Yellow Springs. In 1950 the second house was built and more followed. Now there are 11 homes and 20 members. The group incorporated as The Vale in 1960. Gris and Jane felt strongly that land should be shared, and not used as a commodity, so in 1980 they donated the land to the Community Service, Inc. Land Trust, from which it is leased by The Vale. Seventeen of its wooded acres were put into a conservation easement, so they would never be built upon. Each family lives in its own home, but many share space with additional people. Most families earn their livelihood outside the community. The land, (woods and common areas), utilities, and a half-mile gravel lane are managed together. Gardening is important to many members. Prospective members must live at The Vale for at least one year before applying for membership. At the moment The Vale has no openings for renting or for building.
Business is decided by consensus. Business meetings are usually every month, with the addition of weekly and seasonal get-togethers (potlucks and soup suppers, and an annual retreat).
Community location is placed at the center of the zip/postal code, city/state, or city/country (not based on street addresses)